29 MAY 2009 - NZ
Who works half a day before spending an entire day on planes and in airports? That's me! The sucker for punishment.
I had lovely farewells from family and friends during the day, and my brother even turned up to the airport to see me off! He wasn't feeling well and spent some time making it clear to everyone (hope you are feeling better now).
I saw two groups of people I know at Palmy airport, Rebekah's parents and younger sister, and Karen from youth group! My brother actually noticed her first and I got a little chat to her as we sat near to each other on the plane. She's engaged to Reuben! She was also talking to an American girl who I met up with later.
I discovered that I still had my cellphone in my pocket when I got onto the plane - it will be well travelled by the time I get home. It's far too expensive to have it running while I'm over here (and I can't charge it).
I sat next to a quality manager for Fonterra, going back home. He only travels to Palmy/Paraparaumu once a month generally, but it's still enough to not be interested in the plane trip anymore. I asked a bunch of questions and found out more than I will ever need to know about cheese. Most of the time we were flying between two cloud layers so I couldn't see much of the country, apart from Mt Taranaki which was sticking up through the lower level. Ruapehu may have been as well, but I was one to wrong side of the plane.
Once in Auckland I walked to the international terminal and did some duty window-shopping. No drama, no purchases. The afore-mentioned American chick turned up at the gate while I was waiting to board the flight to San Francisco so we had a good chat about things to see and do there. (The Academy of Science Museum, a Tower called Quoits or something, China Town, Little Italy and the gay area for an interesting experience, I can't remember what she said it was called either.)
We lined up to board (2 queues) and then the computer of the line I was in froze just before I was cleared to board. So people in the other queue kindly let me push in, and I was finally on my way!
To be continued...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's snowing!
ReplyDeleteGood to hear you are in one piece!
Cool! Just to be clear... which Reuben are we talking about? Not that I can remember the surnames of anyone from youth group. But... Reuben = Sacha's-brother and Karen = Kate's best friend?
ReplyDeleteI love the knack you have for getting gossip about long-bygone friends! :D
Hope your trip's going fantastically.... :)
Hey! Apparently I don't get notified when people comment on my blog. I hope the snow isn't causing too much havoc and yes Ruth, those are the correct people :)
ReplyDeleteHey it's that chick who went to the US!
ReplyDeleteOh the snow didn't last long. Shadley (Jon's friend who crashes in the lounge quite often) went bananas because he had never seen snow falling before. It was hilarious.