29 July 2008 - Tuesday. Overcast and rainy but still mild (warm rain).
Saw a squirrel run up a tree right outside where we're staying! It was the first one I've seen since I've been here. Everyone is surprised that it has taken so long for me to see one because they're really common. Oh, I also saw a faun that bolted across the road when we were driving through the forest (avenue of giants). It was very cute but a bit stupid to run out in front of the car like that. It survived, so I guess it will live to run out in front of traffic another day...
We went into downtown Portland and up 'the tram'. This is a big sky-lift gondola thing that connects the two halves of the OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University). The OHSU owned land at the top of the hill (or the bottom) and bought land at the bottom of the hill (or the top) and built a gondola to get from one location to the other. It is a smooth ride and takes about 3-4 mins to ride it one way. Between two of the buildings at the bottom of the hill there is also a 660-foot-long suspended pedestrian enclosed skybridge that is the longest in North America.
Later that afternoon we shopped in the Lloyd Centre - a big three-storey mall. You know how I said that I was doing lots of shopping but not purchasing tooo many things...well I did a lot better at buying stuff on this trip! (Angela from the future says: I think it was this shopping trip that broke the seal.)
I bought more clothes and another pair of shoes. I went to a Barnes and Nobles bookstore and spent at least an hour looking at everything. I only bought four books - I hope they will all fit in my bags.
There was another pretzel shop so I tried one but it was sweeter tasting - there was less baking soda flavour so it wasn't as good for my tastes.
I saw another dog in a bag! The girl carrying this one was younger and the bag more expensive, so it's moving up in steps. I wonder what Vegas will hold.
After hours walking around and satisfying retail urges we headed on back to Longview. When we arrived there was blueberry and peach pie (as promised)! Oh man, it was so good. So I helped to make the next pie (blueberry and raspberry) - I made the crust and patted it out. I've got the recipe now so I can't wait until NZ summer when we can have pav and fruit pies...mmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment